"Funny thing about Flynn, he looked like a bloke from the city, but he always had the smell of the bush about him.” Fred McKay
John Flynn Place honours an Australian visionary and those who joined his campaign for better living conditions in remote Australia. The museum recounts an era of technological advance, when aviation and radio overcame the isolation of vast tracts of the continent.
Cloncurry plays an important role in this great Australian story, for it was here that history took flight when Flynn began his Royal Flying Doctor Service in 1928 and pioneered his scheme of outback radio communication.
The Museum and Art Gallery was opened in 1988 during the Australian Bicentenary celebrations . Funds for the building were raised throughout Australia by the ‘Flynn of the Inland Fund’.
The ‘Radio Gallery’ is a tribute to the amazing work of Alfred Traeger, the inventive genius who gave a voice to Outback Australia, through the pedal radio.
A valuable art collection is on display in the Fred McKay Art Gallery which has a variety of impressive historic artwork that captures McKay’s days as a Boundary Rider.
The museum also encompasses the work of Allan Vickers, who joined the Aerial Medical Service of the Presbyterian Australian Inland Mission, and in 1931-34 was a medical superintendent in Cloncurry.
Take a stroll around the gardens, a relaxing spot to wander and view the Cloister of Plaques commemorating the life and work of pioneer radio engineers and radio operators, the original flying doctors, the first aerial medical pilots and early patrol padres.
For more information visit the John Flynn Place website.