All animal management must comply with the stipulations of Local Law 2 Animal Management and Subordinate Local Law 2 Animal Management 2014
As per Schedule 1 Prohibition on keeping animals, Section 5:
- All dogs over twelve (12) weeks old must be registered with Council. Please contact the Council Administration office to register your animal or click here to complete the application form.
- There can only be two (2) of each species registered to any one allotment in the designated town area.
- There can only be one (1) livestock animal, including but not limited to horses, cattle, camels, donkeys, per one (1) acre as well as a three (3) metre buffer from other allotment boundaries in the designated town area .
- There can only be ten (10) hens per 500 square metres in the designated town area and must be located at the rear of the allotment. No roosters allowed in the designated town area.
- All pigs are prohibited in the designated town area.
As per Schedule 8 Requirements for proper enclosure for animals, Section 13 for all animals:
- The owner of an animal must provide a proper enclosure to contain the animal on the owner’s premises
- The premises must be fully fenced and the fence must be made of a strong and firm material to prevent the animal from escaping over, under or through the fence
- Any gate on the premises must be kept closed at all times, with an adequate latch to prevent the animal from escaping through the gate. Adequate water and shelter must be provided at all times.
- Must be on a lead or harness when off premises and must be under the control of a competent person.
- Register your animals
- Walk your animals on a lead or harness
- Contain your animals within your property
- Pick up your animals faeces
- Ensure your animal is not a nuisance
Please be mindful that during hot days, animals should be provided with clean drinking water daily and adequate shade. If you believe an animal's welfare is compromised please call the RSPCA on 1300 264 625 or the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries on 13 25 23.