Chinaman Creek Dam
The Cloncurry Weir is an essential piece of infrastructure to further drought-proof the town and provide a safe and reliable water supply for residents.
A sustainable water supply is an essential Council service. Recent years of below-average rainfall highlighted the need for Council to construct additional infrastructure to secure long-term water storage.
The Weir completed in February 2014 has proven to be a valuable asset to Council and is a long-term water storage solution.
The Weir also supports economic development through the provision of adequate water for industry.
- Completed in February 2014
- Secures an additional 700 megalitres of water in the Cloncurry River
- Ability to harvest 35 megalitres per day into Chinaman Creek Dam which equates to eight days of town usage per day of harvesting
- The water held by the Weir replenishes river aquifers and shallow fractures rock aquifers
- $150,000 of works were funded by the Queensland State Government Local Government Grants Subsidy Program.