Historical Sites


The Cloncurry Shire is home to a myriad of cemeteries, from those within the Cloncurry borders and surrounds to those abandoned mining townships within the Shire. Historical records show that some of the earliest graves located in the Cloncurry Shire are from 1867 when Cloncurry's founding father; Ernest Henry discovered copper.

Old Cloncurry Cemetery

This cemetery is located on the corner of Golf Course Road and Sir Hudson Fysh Drive. There is no way of knowing how many graves are buried in the vicinity of the old cemetery as the railway, cattle and the environment have all contributed to the deterioration of the site over time. There are only two remaining visible graves at this cemetery, with only one headstone present.

Cloncurry Cemetery

The Cloncurry Cemetery is located on the block of Sir Hudson Fysh Drive, Alice Street and Henry Street. The cemetery is divided into 8 portions, with rumours that it was separated by denomination. Historical records do not confirm this assumption apart from the Afghan Cemetery where the graves face Mecca in Section 6.

Dame Mary Gilmore is a well-known identity buried in the Cloncurry Cemetery. Dame Mary Gilmore is the lady on the Australian ten dollar note and is known for her literary works throughout Australia. Mary was cremated after her State funeral and her remains returned to Cloncurry to be interned with her husband William Alexander Gilmore, who passed away in 1945 from blood poisoning. The headstone is located in Section 4, Plot Number 1448.

Afghan Cemetery

The Afghan Cemetery is located in the North West corner of the Cloncurry Cemetery in Section 6. These graves date from around the turn of the century to the 1950s. Cloncurry was Queensland's largest "Ghantown' in the late 1890s and early 1900s. It was estimated that there were more than 200 Afghan Cameleers and 2000 camels providing transport in the Cloncurry District.

Chinese Cemetery

The Cloncurry Chinese Cemetery is located at the junction of Copper mine Creek and the Anabranch just off the Flinders highway to the left of town. Access to the cemetery is via Isley Street. One remaining headstone is visible in the Chinese Cemetery, Although it is believed that many more Chinese graves reside in this location.

Kuridala Cemetery

Kuridala is located about 65km from Cloncurry on the Cloncurry- Boulia Road and the cemetery is located about halfway between the road and the old smelter chimneys. Kuridala was a township for the copper mine and became a ghost town when it was abandoned in 1920 after the mines closed. Kuridala is now a heritage listed site.

Selwyn Cemetery

Selwyn is situated about 110km South of Cloncurry. The township started in 1899 and lasted until the end of World War 1. After the prices of Copper fell the town dwindled away, with almost no history of a town remaining today apart from ruins and the cemetery.

The Australian Cemeteries Index has proved to be an invaluable tool. For all of those graves with a headstone, simply log into the website and you can search all headstones listed in Cloncurry Cemeteries. For more information, head to the Australian Cemeteries Index website.


Australian Inland Mission Memorial Cloister

The Cloister was designed to represent The Australian Inland Mission under the guidance of Rev. John Flynn with plaques for all those deceased who were a part of the initial Flying Doctor Service. A memorial to John Flynn and the history of the Flying Doctor was established in the bicentennial year. The Memorial Cloister was first located in Uhr Street at the site of the Presbyterian Church, however, it has now been relocated to John Flynn Place in Daintree Street.

Cloncurry War Memorial

The War Memorial was erected on the corner of Sheaffe and Scarr Street. The memorial has four faces each containing the names of the men who gave their lives during times of war.