Building Services Building Services

If you are thinking of doing any building, remodelling, extensions  or renovating, you should contact a Private Building Certifier. A Building Certifier can provide general advice on the current requirements and fees for all types of building work to ensure you comply with relevant Local and State Laws.

Select from the topics below to find out more information about building requirements.

Building Applications and Approvals

Building approvals, also known as building permits, development approvals and building certifications, are required before you start most types of building and structural work. This includes new buildings, alterations, additions, carports, sheds, awnings and swimming pools. 

A siting dispensation is required if you wish to build closer than the allowable minimum setbacks. Read more here. 

Certification and Inspections

Building certification ensure construction complies with the legislative requirements. Building inspections may be required as part of your building work. A certificate will be issued to verify the building work has been completed in compliance with the approved plans and building regulations. Read more here. 

Driveways and Easements

Driveways and crossovers must be built in accordance with the required minimum standards. Building work over an easement will also require approval from the registered holder of the easement. Read more here. 

Fences - Boundary, Dividing and Pool

Information about boundary and dividing fences can be found in the Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act.

Information regarding pool fences can be found in the Pool Safety Laws. Read more here. 

Swimming Pools and Spas

All new swimming pools and spas require building approval from Council. You must also register your pool or spa with the Queensland Government. Read more here. 

Pool safety certificates are required when selling or leasing a property with a pool.  



Documents Documents

Building Services