Applications and Approvals

Building approvals, also known as building permits, development approvals and building certifications, are required before you start most types of building and structural work

This includes, but is not limited to:

  • new dwellings
  • alterations and additions to existing buildings, including new roofs
  • house removal and relocation
  • demolitions
  • carports and sheds
  • roofed patios, gazebos, pergolas and shade sails 
  • fences over two meters in height above the natural ground level
  • retaining walls over one meter in height above the natural ground level or within one and a half meters of a building or other retaining walls
  • swimming pools and spas

Approval is required for garden sheds, including DIY kit type, as specified in the Building Code of Australia. 

You need to obtain building approval before you start construction if you are doing the building work yourself or employing the services of a licensed builder.

Building approvals can be obtained from a licensed private Building Certifier. A Private Certifier must also carry out certain inspections to determine if the building work complies with the approval. 

Building application and support documents

You will need to submit various supporting information with your application. Documentation may include:

  • Completed building application IDAS Forms, Form 1 and Form 2
  • Site plan drawn to scale and showing where the structure is located in relation to existing structures on the allotment and property boundaries, including distances. 
  • Set of construction plans with structural detail about the building including footing/slab detail, timber sizes and grades, bracing and tie-down details. All structures must be submitted with an Engineer's certificate. 
  • Sewer main plan. You can order a sewer main plan from the Council Administration Office.
  • The appropriate application fee. 

Depending on the building work proposed, you may also be asked to submit further information such as BSA insurance, soil tests and other documentation. 

Siting Dispensation

Boundary clearances and building setbacks are legislated under the Queensland Development Code (QDC). 

If you wish to build closer to your front, side or rear boundary than the allowable minimum setbacks, you must apply to Council for a siting dispensation. The road alignment/property boundary is not the kerb line. 

Planning and Development Officers from Council will assess the application and inspect the site to determine if the proposed structure can be built closer to the boundary. In some instances Council may require written consent from neighbouring landowners prior to approving the siting dispensation. 

If you are thinking of doing any building, remodelling work, extensions or renovating you should contact a Private Building Certifier. The Building Certifier can provide general advice on the current requirements and fees for all types of building work to ensure you comply with relevant Local and State Laws.