Plumbing Services

Plumbing Services

Council provides a certification service to approve plumbing work conducted with the Cloncurry Shire. The certification assessment procedure enables the applicant to gain plumbing approval and ensure that the work complies with the relevant legislation.

Council provides assessment of plumbing and drainage applications and inspections for work within the boundaries of an owner's property, pursuant to the current plumbing laws and legislations. The certification process enables the applicant to gain plumbing approval and ensure that the works comply with the relevant legislation. Further information regarding the current legislation is available from the Department of Housing and Public Works.

The Council Plumbing Application Pack outlines all necessary documentation required to have your plumbing assessed. The interactive Form 1- Compliance Assessment Application can be found on the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

To arrange a plumbing inspection, please contact Council on 4742 4100. A minimum of 48 hours notice is required as per the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002.

Information on existing plumbing works

Council can supply the following information on request, where current information exists. Please note, fees and charges apply.

  • Copies of certificates
  • Plumbing permit searches
  • Copies of 'as constructed drainage plans'

Compliance functions

Council performs enforcement functions under the provisions of the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002.

Notifiable work

On November 1 2012, a new category of plumbing and drained work, called 'notifiable work' commenced.

Notifiable work extends the amount of work a plumber or drainer can perform without a local government permit or mandatory inspection.

Notifiable work is defined in Schedule 2 of the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003. It includes most plumbing and drainage work performed in existing homes including;

  • Kitchen and bathroom additions or renovations
  • Installing or replacing hot water heaters, including electric, solar or heat pump hot water heater
  • Installing fixtures such as toilets, showers and sinks in an existing home
  • Extending or altering pipework.

For more information on what is considered notifiable works, see the Notifiable Works on the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

Trade waste

Trade waste is liquid waste generated by industry, small business and commercial enterprises. It may have an organic strength many times that of domestic sewerage and may overload public treatment facilities.

Trade waste may also contain other substances such as high levels of fat and grease, heavy metals, organic solvents and chlorinated organic substances which sewerage systems are not designed to treat.

In Queensland, the Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2009 regulates trade waste discharge. Prior to discharging trade waste to Council's sewer, the Act requires trade waste generators to obtain approval from Council.

If your business generates any of the above waste, you will need approval. Please contact Council for more details.

Plumbing Services Forms